Monday, January 16, 2017

Cleaning Up Messes

Last week I shared a brief devotional at Bible Study - and wanted to share it here in hopes that it may encourage a friend or two as we start off a new week in the "trenches of parenting". Love, The Pampered Bird

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My three year old is adorable. She is also a pistol who knows all my buttons and can drive me up the wall with frustration.


In the last two days alone I have been on my hands and knees 5 times cleaning up significant messes she has made around the house. Some of the messes were on purpose and some of the messes were complete accidents. But regardless of her intentions – her 8 months pregnant mother ended up on hands and knees, scrubbing, vacuuming, sweeping, and disinfecting – in order to clean up the messes she made.



And in the midst of my frustration, bitterness and resentment of having to get into a very uncomfortable position and do tasks that were messy, smelly, and physically taxing – I was reminded that I was once the one in desperate need of being cleaned up after.

And my messes were and are also a combination of purposeful disobedience and stubbornness, as well as na├»ve mistakes. But regardless of my intentions – I’ve not loved the Lord my God the way I should; I have not loved others as myself; I’ve done things I’m not to do; and I’ve neglected to do the things I am called to do.


But my Heavenly Father, made a plan – even before the world began – to come and clean up my messes.

Philippians 2:6-8 says:
“Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.”

Jesus cleaned up after me. He did it without frustration, bitterness or resentment – but instead with an abundance of compassion, grace, mercy and love. He willingly scrubbed me clean so that (according to Hebrews 10:22) I can go right into the presence of God with a sincere heart fully trusting him. For my guilty conscience has been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make me clean, and my body has been washed with pure water.


Because of the massive clean up job that Jesus did on the cross: for me, for us, for the whole world -
Philippians 2:9-11 says:

“Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.”


So this morning, my prayer is that as we reflect on what Jesus did to clean up our messes, we can in turn be filled with joy as we enter into the messes of our Community Bible Study women and children (and our immediate families) – and we can serve them with the same compassion, mercy and grace shown to us by our Savior and Lord. 


-The Pampered Bird

1 comment:

  1. beautiful reminder that i really needed to hear today :) miss you and all the CBS ladies, and congrats on #3!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails